Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Bletsoe > Old Pear Tree Cottage Bletsoe

Old Pear Tree Cottage Bletsoe

Old Pear Tree Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It is a 17th or 18th century, modernised cottage with a large modern rear extension. It is constructed of Colour-washed plaster infilling a timber frame, with a thatched roof.

The terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 required every piece of land and building in the country to be valued to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. The valuer visiting Old Pear Tree Cottage [DV1/C106/44] noted that, like most of the rest of the parish, it was owned by Lord Saint John. The tenant was Miss Mary J. Green who paid £10 per annum, rent. The valuer noted that it was a plaster and thatch and brick and slate, commenting: "Part slate part just re-thatched". Miss Green ran the village post office and shop and the ground floor comprised the office/shop, a living room and parlour. Three bedrooms lay upstairs and a further two bedrooms in the roof space.