North End Cottages Bletsoe
Oak Tree Cottage September 2009
North End Cottages stand at the cross roads of The Avenue, the road leading to Riseley and that from Milton Ernest to the A6, turning a corner near the former Thurleigh Airfield. They were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottages are, in fact, a 17th century house, modernised and extended during the 1940s, built of roughcast over a timber frame and a pantiled roof, replacing the previous thatched roof.
The terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 required every piece of land and building in the country to be valued to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. The valuer visiting North End Farm Cottages [DV1/A12/16a-b] noted that they were, like most of the parish. Owned by Lord Saint John. The northern part of the structure was rented by Mrs. Pettit and it consisted of a living room and scullery downstairs with a single bedroom above. Next door consisted of a living room downstairs and a bedroom above and was rented by F. Cranfield.