Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Aspley Guise > Valentine Cottage Aspley Guise

Valentine Cottage Aspley Guise

Valentine and Park Cottages about 1920
Valentine and Park Cottages about 1920 [Z818/29]

Valentine Cottage is an attractive thatched property in Bedford Road (formerly called East Street), fifty yards or so from the junction with Mount Pleasant. Today it is well set back from the road but until the 1960s the road ran right past it, following the course of the modern path. The cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment, being given Grade II status ("of special interest, which warrant every effort being made to preserve them").

 Valentine Cottage January 2008
Valentine Cottage in January 2008

Valentine Cottage is considered to be a 17th century building "with later reworkings". It is a timber framed structure, partly with colour-washed brick infill, partly colour-washed render and applied timber framing. It originally had a three room plan in a single storey with attics above. There is a modern block projecting to the rear.

In 1927 this part of Bedfordshire was valued under the terms of the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and property was inspected to determine the rates to be paid on it. Valentine Cottage was then just 14 East Street. The owner was Mrs. Downes, of Aspley House and the tenant a Miss Giles. The valuer [DV1/C/141] noted the roughcast and timber construction and detailed a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above; outside were a barn and wc; mains water was laid on. The valuer commented: "Rambling weekend type very very pretty old timber work. Lovely thatch". Since that date the cottage has been extended considerably, most recently on the right hand side, as can be seen in the photograph above.