Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Aspley Guise > 26 West Hill Aspley Guise

26 West Hill Aspley Guise

26 West Hill July 2010
26 West Hill July 2010

Bedfordshire's Historic Environment Record [HER] details every historic building and landscape feature in the county. It is now available on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website. It described 26 West Hill [HER 4368] as a mid 19th century house with integral stables and hayloft. It is constructed of brick and slate and has sash windows.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 26 West Hill found it was owned by Miss. M. Burrell, who lived at Cranbrook, and occupied by Thomas Wilson, who was her employee [DV1/C239/125]

The brick and slate cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. A w. c. stood outside. The valuer commented: "Very good cottage. Could be separated from house". He also noted: "does not include Stables etc." which lay at the east end of the property.