Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Aspley Guise > Primitive Methodism in Aspley Guise

Primitive Methodism in Aspley Guise

Aspley Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel
The former Primitive Methodist chapel in Aspley Hill in March 2007

The Primitive Methodist chapel was first registered with the Archdeaconry of Bedford in 1849, when it was described as being in Hogstye End and in occupation of Benjamin Herbert, William Mayne and other trustees and was certified by the minister in Newport Pagnell, Henry Yeates.

The records of the chapel are held in Aylesbury at Buckinghamshire Record Office as it formed part of a circuit based on Wolverton and Bletchley and latterly based around Milton Keynes. The chapel closed in about 1963. In 1965 boundary changes meant that the building became part of Woburn Sands and thus part of Buckinghamshire.

On Sunday 30th March 1851 a census of all churches, chapels and preaching-houses of every denomination was undertaken in England and Wales. The results were published by Bedfordshire Historical Records Society in 1975 as Volume 54, edited by D.W.Bushby. The figures given for Primitive Methodist chapel on Aspley Hill were 70 attending in the morning and 100 in the evening. The Minister, James Ford, stated that the chapel had been founded in 1849 and gave the seating capacity as 80.