Hollydale Aspley Guise
Hollydale July 2010
Hollydale was listed by English heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The house, "at one stage used as school house" (presumably for the head teacher of the National School) dates from the 18th century; it was reworked in the 19th century. It is constructed of red brick laid in a header bond, with zigzag patterning in vitrified bricks. The 19th part is built in plain red brick. It has clay tile roofs with fishscale tile patterning slates to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Hollydale [DV1/C141/32] noted that it was owned and occupied by Edgar Topham.
Directories indicate that Charles Cutler occupied Hollydale in1890. By 1894 the occupier was a Mrs. Brooks and Kelly's Directory for Bedfordshire of 1898 listed the occupier as Miss Sparry, who was still there in 1903. In the directories of 1920 and 1924 the Misses Marshall were listed at Hollydale.
The brick, tile and slate detached building comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen, scullery and pantry downstairs with four bedrooms and a w c. above. Outside stood a brick and tile wood house and coal house and a timber and asbestos garage. The valuer commented: "Very attractive, lovely front" but noted that there was no bathroom.