Husborne Crawley Before 1086
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county's historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The record does not contain much information on Husborne Crawley before the Norman Conquest. The earliest find in the parish is a stone axehead dating to the Neolithic period [HER 8690].
The other references are to a putative Roman road. The Viatores are a group dedicated to finding Roman roads in the modern landscape. They have identified a road running from Dorchester-on-Thames [Oxfordshire] to Alconbury House [Huntingdonshire] which ran through Bedfordshire [HER 485]. The road runs through Astwick, Edworth, Dunton, Biggleswade, Langford, Henlow, Clifton, Shefford, Campton, Clophill, Maulden, Flitwick, Steppingley, Eversholt, Ridgmont, Husborne Crawley and Aspley Guise.
The road may be seen in two places. Firstly an agger lies north-east of the church. An agger is a raised linear feature sloping from a central point and represents the carriageway of the Roman road [HER 10453]. The other point at which the road can be seen is the hollow way, a public footpath, from running along the parish boundary between Aspley Guise and Houghton Conquest from the area known as Saint David's Cross on Mount Pleasant, directly opposite the junction with Gypsy Lane.