Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Husborne Crawley > 3 Mill Road Husborne Crawley

3 Mill Road Husborne Crawley

3 Mill Road January 2008
3 Mill Road January 2008

3 Mill Road stands adjacent to the White Horse public house opposite the spot where Ridgmont Road ran into Mill Road before road works early in the 21st century changed the layout. The property was listed by the former Department of Environment in February 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century "with later reworkings". It is built of colourwashed roughcast render over a timber frame and has a half-hipped clay tile gambrel roof. The original cottage would have contained two rooms on the ground floor with sleeping accommodation in the attics above.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 3 Mill Road [DV1/C53/102] found that it was unusual in Husborne Crawley in not being owned by the Duke of Bedford – the owner and occupier was William Henry Dove.

The house comprised a living room, kitchen, scullery; and pantry with three bedrooms above. A coal barn, an earth closet, a shed and a hovel stood outside.

3 Mill Road seen from Ridgmont Road January 2011
3 Mill Road seen from Ridgmont Road January 2011