Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > GreatBarford > 6 and 10 Roxton Road Great Barford

6 and 10 Roxton Road Great Barford

6 to 10 Roxton Road March 2010
6 to 10 Roxton Road March 2010

6 to 10 Roxton Road was, as the numbering indicates, formerly three cottages and was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century with alterations in both 18th and 19th centuries. Like many older properties in Great Barford it is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame “the latter being combinations of earlier substantial and later less substantial timbering”. The gable ends have red brick facing. The roof is thatched and the property has a single storey with attics. There are later one storey additions to the rear.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property [DV1/C125/135-137] found it owned by a Mrs. Brawn. Number Six was occupied by Frederick Cotton and Number Eight by Charles W. Goodman, both of whom paid rent of £4 per annum. Cotton had a living room with a range with two bedrooms above whilst Goodman had a living room with a range and a kitchen with one bedroom above.

Number Ten was rented to Joseph Lee who paid £4/10/- per annum in rent. He had a living room with a range, a parlour with a grate, a pantry and two bedrooms above. He also kept a shop, measuring 20 feet by 8 feet, though Kelly’s Directory for Bedfordshire of 1928 lists Frank Ernest Lee as shopkeeper. He is also listed in the directories for 1931, 1936 and 1940, the latter being the last Kelly's for Bedfordshire. The shop, presumably, stood outside. Water came from a well.