52 and 54 Silver Street Great Barford
52 and 54 Silver Street March 2010
52 and 54 Silver Street stand in that part of the road which was called Herrings Lane until the 20th century. The property was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the pair of cottages to the 18th century. The are constructed of colour washed brick and roughcast with a thatched roof and each originally had just one room with an attic above. There are 20th century two storeyed extensions at both gable ends to give more room and Number 54 also has a flat roofed single storey extension projecting forward.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages, then still in Herrings Lane [Dv1/C156/118-119] found them both owned by a Mrs. Brown.
Number 52 was occupied by John Geary who paid £4/10/- per annum in rent for a living room with a range, a kitchen with a range and two bedrooms above. He had a pigsty outside but the valuer commented: “No sink or drain”. Number 54 was occupied by a woman rejoicing in the name of Mrs. Miraney Lansome who paid rent of £4 per annum for a living room with a range and a “big” bedroom above. She had a barn outside.
Both tenants shared a common well and a privy. The valuer commented: “Good Bedfordshire type”.