Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Blunham > The Rose and Crown Beerhouse Blunham

The Rose and Crown Beerhouse Blunham

The white house is the former Rose and Crown - October 2009 
The white house is the former Rose and Crown - October 2009

 The Rose and Crown Beerhouse: 15 the Hill, Blunham

Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records service has very few records of this beerhouse which was owned by Day of Saint Neots [Huntingdonshire]. The Rose and Crown is noted in licensing registers and seems to have closed around the time of the First World War. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be valued to determine the rates to be paid on it. By this date the beerhouse had closed. The valuer visiting 15 The Hill, as the building had then become, noted that it was brick built with roughcast render and a slate roof. It comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms and a box room above. A washhouse and barn stood outside. The valuer noted: "Water from pump at back", also "Old Place" and finally "Don't like it"! The owner occupier was J. Samway and the site was 0.137 of an acre.

References:

  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915 

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1869-1895: James Samway;
1895-1898: Elizabeth Mary Samway;
1898-1900: Frank King;
1900-1912: William West Norman;
1912-1913: Eliza Norman;
1913-1914: James Giggle

Beerhouse closed before 1927