99 Grange Road Blunham
99 Grange Road August 2009
Peering out from behind fence and foliage, 99 Grange Road stands, like many older properties, gable end on to the road. The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 99 Grange Road [DV1/C105/3] noted that it was owned by G. Harding and occupied by W. Abbott who paid £20/16/- per annum rent. The house stood in just under half an acre and comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above. A timber and corrugated iron barn and stable stood outside. The valuer commented: "Nice Garden. Big old place". Water was laid on to the scullery.
99 Grange Road was listed by Engish Heritage in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest; they dated it to the House 17th century. The house is of colour washed roughcast over a timber framed construction with a thatched roof. Cottages often had a simple plan with two rooms downstairs, this cottage was larger and had a three room plan, with one storey and bedrooms in the attics. Like many buildings of that date, it stands with the gable end facing the road.