2 Barford Road Blunham
2 Barford Road October 2009
This attractive yellow brick 19th century house stands at the junction of The Hill, Barford Road and Station Road. The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the house [DV1/C179/42] noted that it was owned by Charles William Rawlins (a market gardener), and occupied by Charles James Beeson who paid £26 per annum rent. Today  the house is called Lodge Farm, in 1927 it was The Lodge.
The brick and slate premises stood in a quarter of an acre and comprised two parlours, a kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above. Two barns and a hen roost stood outside. The valuer commented: "Very nice little place. Was a Farm. Farm Buildings still at rear, but not objectionable. Water laid on to Scullery". The farm buildings at the rear were owned and used by Charles Rawlins and stood in 1.109 acres, comprising a brick, timber and tile range of garage and six bay cart lodge with a loft over, a mixing shed, loose box, two cow sheds with tie-ups for eight beasts and two loose boxes, a granary with a loft over and a barn - all of which were described as "very good range". There was also a twenty bay shelter and two hen roosts. Charles Rawlins had a field of 2.743 acres adjoining.