Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Yelden > York Cottage Yelden

York Cottage Yelden

York Cottage February 2014
York Cottage February 2014

York Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottage dates from the late 17th or early 18th century and is built of colour-washed plaster over a timber frame and has a thatched roof. It comprises one storey and attics.

The cottage formed part of the Yelden Estate, which was put up for sale in 1876. The sale particulars [AD1147/30] describe it as a cottage and garden containing four rooms, dairy and pantry with a cow house, piggery and small barn and shed adjoining. The occupant was a Mr York who paid rent of £4 per annum, hence the cottage's modern name.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C190/48] found it owned by W Whitehead and in occupation of W York who paid three shillings per week for a living room, kitchen, scullery and two bedrooms. A weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn and a store shed and fowl house stood outside. The cottage, described as a five-roomed cottage in occupation of W York at a rent of £5 per annum was sold as part of the Yelden Estate when it again came on the market in 1917 [WG2615].