Castle Cottage Yelden
Castle Cottage February 2014
Castle Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century and is constructed from colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof. The cottage comprises a single storey with attics. On the ground floor a 20th century window now occupies the position of a former door of the left-hand side suggesting the building was once two dwellings . The porch is also 20th century. There are single storey extensions to the north gable end and south of the rear of the property.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C190/46] found that it was owned by H W Randle and occupied by H Hodgkin who paid rent of 2/9 per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms. A brick and tiled barn and washhouse stood outside. The valuer summed the property up as: "Poor".