Yelden Church Architecture
The church from the south-east March 2014
The church of Saint Mary the Virgin was certainly in existence by 1162 as the advowson was given to Thorney Abbey at that date. The earliest known rector was Peter de Clare, instituted in 1227.
The interior looking east March 2014
The church is constructed from coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. It comprises a chancel with a vestry on the north side, a nave, a south aisle, south porch and west tower.
Piscina and sedilia March 2014
The bulk of the remaining building dates from the 14th century when the chancel was re-modelled, though it retains a 13th century door in the south wall. The piscina and sedilia date from the time of the re-modelling as does, probably, the Easter sepulchre and vestry.
Brass of John Heyne March 2014
John Heyne, the Rector, died on 25th June 1433. He has a brass in teh chancel.
Tomb recess and effigy in the north wall of the nave March 2014
The nave seems to have been 13th century in date, as witnessed by a blocked doorway, though the chancel arch and a tomb in the north wall are 14th century. The clerestory was added in the 15th century and the roof has timbers and features from the same date.
The south aisle looking east March 2014
The south aisle, to judge by a lancet window in the east wall, dates from the late 13th century. The arcade is from the next century when, presumably, the aisle was widened. The piscina is 14th century.
Remains of a wall painting in the south aisle March 2014
The aisle has fragments of a medieval wall painting. The figures of Saints James on the east wall and Christopher on the south wall, have been identified.
The south face of the west tower March 2014
The tower dates from the 14th century. It has animals and grotesque heads just beneath the eaves of the spire.
The south porch March 2014
The font and south porch both date from the 15th century. The pulpit dates from the very end of that century.
The font March 2014