Church and Chichely Cottages Yelden
Church and Chichely Cottages February 2014
These two cottages were listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. They date from the 17th century and are constructed from colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the building [DV1/C190/33-34] found that it was owned by J Hodgkin. Today's Church Cottage was occupied by the owner and comprised a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms. P H Tysoe lived next door in what is now called Chicheley Cottage and paid rent of 2/6 per week for kitchen, scullery and one bedroom.
In 1988 planning permission was sought for a first floor extension to Chicheley Cottage [BorBTP/88/2890/LB].