Chantry Cottage Yelden
Chantry Cottage February 2014
Chantry Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century and is constructed of colour-washed pebbledash over a timber frame with a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C190/23] found that it was owned by the owner of the smithy W Whitehead and occupied by Mrs Wicks who paid £8 per annum in rent for a living room, a parlour, a kitchen, a scullery and two bedrooms. A brick and tiled coal and wood store stood outside.