Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Yelden > Home Cottage Yelden

Home Cottage Yelden

Home Cottage February 2014
Home Cottage February 2014

Home Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is constructed of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof, though the north-east gable end is in brick with a pantiled roof. The building comprises one storey and attics.

In 1876 the cottage was part of the Yelden Estate which was put up for sale in that year. The sale particulars [AD1147/30] describe the building as a pair of cottages and gardens, one containing two rooms, pantry and washhouse and the other three rooms, pantry and coal shed. The tenants were named Wagstaff and Hoskins and their combined rents came to £5/15/- per annum.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C190/57-58] found it owned by T H Hawkey. It was then divided into two dwellings. The one closest to the road was occupied by J G Annis who paid £4 per annum for a living room and bedroom with a corrugated iron lean-to. The rear dwelling was in occupation of H Hodgkin who paid two shillings per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms with a weather-boarded and corrugated iron lean-to. The valuer commented: "Poor place".