Methodism in Yelden
Date stone on the chapel February 2014
The first known Methodist meeting house in Yelden was registered, by the Wesleyans, on 29th May 1854 by Thomas Jeffery of Higham Ferrers [Northamptonshire], the circuit minister. It was cancelled on 8th May 1895. A second registration was carried out by Jabez Wildes of Yelden, one of the trustees, on 8th October 1884, the date of the current chapel building.
Methodists had been active in Yelden before a chapel was built, however, being a part of the Wellingborough Circuit from 1814 before being transferred to Higham Ferrers Circuit in 1828. Sadly, Bedfordshire and Luton Archive and Record Service has no records deposited by the chapel because they are deposited at Northamptonshire Record Office. Among them are:
- Trustees' minute book: c. 1936-1969;
- Chapel account book: 1939-1964;
- A list of Yelden members c. 1954;
- Society Steward's account book: 1957-1963.
The Methodist Chapel September 2015