The Second Souldrop Manor
Arms of the Boteler family of Sharnbrook
Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire, published in 1912, has a detailed histories of the manors of Bedfordshire. This second manor of Souldrop is first mentioned in 1539 when it was granted to George Boteler, having previously belonged, it is assumed, to Newnham Priory in Bedford which had just been dissolved by King Henry VIII (1509-1547).
The manor remained in the Boteler family until 1765 when it was sold by Sir Philip Boteler to Sir Samuel Cornish. His nephew sold it to the Gambier family at some time in the 19th century. In 1876 it was sold to Charles Magniac, who held the main Souldrop Manor. By 1912 it was held by Albert Edward Bowen. A succession of Law of Property Acts in the 1920s effectively abolished manors in all but name.