Methodists in Souldrop
Elevation of the chapel [RDBP1/203]
The records for Souldrop Wesleyan Methodist chapel are held at Northamptonshire Archive Service. They show that Souldrop was part of the Higham Ferrers Wesleyan Circuit by 1796 [CRT170/6/19]. By 1814 there seems no longer to have been a Wesleyan society in Souldrop.
In 1839 Souldrop rejoined the circuit. There is no return for Souldrop in the Ecclesiastical Census of 1851, which sought to get countrywide numbers for people attending worship on Sunday 30th March. This clearly indicates there was no chapel building in Souldrop at the time. The chapel building (now a private house) has the date 1912 on its front elevation and plans exist for it [RDBP1/203].
In 1932 the Wesleyans came together with the Primitive and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain. The following records are held by Northamptonshire:
- A trustees’ minute book and lists from 1837 to 1956;
- An account book from 1927 to 1968.
The chapel was still open in 1984 but subsequently closed.
Plan of the chapel [RDBP1/203]