Souldrop Church Architecture
The church from the south-east April 2015
Today’s church is largely Victorian, rebuilt in 1861 by Henry Clutton, favourite architect of the Duke of Bedford, who held Souldrop Manor. However, the building has medieval origins, seen now in the west tower. The building comprises a nave, a north aisle, a chancel with a north organ chamber and the west tower.
There was certainly a church here in 1270 when an affray over the rights to the advowson led to the death of a man. The earliest part of today’s church, however, is the late 13th century tower which has a spire, the oldest in the county. Both tower and spire resemble those at Chellington.