Kidbrook Cottage - 48 High Street Flitton
Kidbrook Cottage - 48 High Street February 2011
48 High Street, Kidbrook Cottage, was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century with 18th century reworking.
It is a timber-framed construction, with colourwashed render to gables and red brick casing to the front elevation. It has a clay tiled roof. The cottage originally had two rooms on the ground floor with bed spaces in the attics. A 20th century extension comprising one storey and attics extends from the left-hand gable.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage, in 1927, found that it was owned and occupied by H. Buck [DV1/C270/129].
Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen on the ground floor with two bedrooms in the attics. There was also a pantry and a washhouse, presumably in the left gable extension. The valuer commented: "Like Farm House" and "two dormers".