Flitton Before 1086
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county's historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The HER gives evidence for Bronze Age and Roman activity in Flitton.
The Bronze Age is represented by a single arrowhead found in 1930 [HER 4326]. It was a barbed and tanged flint arrowhead, one barb was broken. The flint is honey-coloured and translucent. Flint tools continued to be used through the Bronze Age and even into the Iron Age because they were easy to make and durable. Moreover, in Bedfordshire flint is common in the south of the county
A Roman Cemetery was reported as having been found in Flitton in 1823 [HER 216]. A contemporary description referred to "ashes of a funeral pyre" with "several urns or jars of various sizes" containing cremated bone found nearby. The cemetery may have been late Iron Age or Roman but this is not proven. In 1969 the jawbone of a young man and dated between 1,800 and 2,000 years old was found on the bank of the River Flitt at Pope's Meadow, Sandycroft Farm [Co/Inq3/2/18]. This bone may have been raleted to the cemetery.
The Viatores are a group dedicated to finding former Roman roads in the modern landscape. A road from Luton to Marston Moretaine was suggested as a Roman route in 1964 [HER 5020] but there is no definite evidence to support the theory. Ruxox Farm on the Flitwick-Maulden boundary was a Roman villa [HER 918]. Its field system extended into Flitton as well