Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Eggington > The Patch Eggington

The Patch Eggington

The Patch in January 2013
The Patch in January 2013

The Patch is a long low building which looks as if it might be a converted barn. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for The Patch [HER 6376] reveals that it is timber-framed with red brick nogging, that is, infill between the timbers. It comprises a single storey beneath a clay tiled roof and has a later extension to the east. No date is given but the timber-framing suggests it is 19th century or older. It is certainly shown on the 1st edition 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey map of 1882.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property, on 20th March 1927 [DV1/C174/30] found that it was owned by F. Cox (who lived at next-door Woodbine Cottage) and inhabited by W. Munday who paid rent of 1/6 per week, which had been set in 1919.

The cottage simply contained a living room and a kitchen. The valuer commented: “Awful”. A brick and corrugated iron barn stood outside. Another hand commented: “Disgraceful condition” whereas a third person described it as a “Vile Hovel”!