Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Eggington > Broadmead Cottage Eggington

Broadmead Cottage Eggington

Broadmead Cottage December 2008
Broadmead Cottage December 2008

Broadmead Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century though it has had later alterations. The cottage is built of brick which has been colourwashed, is L-shaped and comprises two storeys beneath a clay tiled roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Broadmead Cottage was then divided into two, the building being owned by A. Dudley who occupied the greater part of it himself [DV1/C174/39]. This comprised two living rooms and three bedrooms above. A wood and corrugated iron shed (“falling down”) stood outside. The valuer commented that it was half rebuilt and: “No access through below – was two cottages. Can get through upstairs” meaning that Dudley had to go upstairs to move from one living room to another, a most clumsy arrangement

The rear of the property was occupied by W. C. Osborn who paid rent of 1/6 per week for a living room downstairs and two bedrooms above [DV1/C174/40]. The valuer noted that the bedrooms were very small and were partly over Dudley’s portion of the building. The valuer opined: “Bad Cottage”.