Meadow Croft Souldrop
Meadow Croft April 2015
Meadow Croft was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It is of 17th century origin, altered in the 19th century. It is built of local limestone rubble, with a new tiled roof. The cottage comprises one storey and attics.
By 1922 the cottage formed part of the Colworth Estate, which was put up for sale by auction in that year. The cottage had probably always formed a part of the Manor of Souldrop. The sale particulars [Z1246/1] describe it as “a neat detached brick, stone and thatched cottage” occupying a site of 28 poles. “held by an Estate Employee on a Service Tenancy. The Cottage, which has recently been renovated, contains Sitting Room, Kitchen, Scullery and Pantry, three Bedrooms; Wood Shed and Pigsty. Large Garden”. The whole estate was withdrawn as not sold and offered again in 1924 [Z1323/1/4].
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Meadowcroft [DV1/C167/9] found it owned and occupied by Mrs M A B Smith. The detached stone and thatched building comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet both stood outside.