14 to 19 High Street Souldrop
14 to 19 High Street, Souldrop
14 to 19 High Street are a row of estate cottages, built for the Duke of Bedford, when Lord of the Manor, in 1854. They are built in the usual red brick and mostly have modern tiled roofs. Each one comprises one storey with attics. They are not listed as they have been too much altered.
By 1922 the row formed part of the Colworth Estate, which was put up for sale by auction in that year. The sale particulars [Z1246/1] describe the row as: “A block of six capital cottages situate in the village of Souldrop, extending to an area of about 0 acres, 1 rood, 22 poles. The Cottages are occupied as follows: (e) and (f) Estate Employees, a, c and d are Weekly Tenancies and the others are Service Tenancies. Five cottages each contain two Bedrooms, Living Room, Scullery and Pantry, with Outbuildings, whilst the sixth Cottage has an additional Bedroom. Joint Water supply with Lot 17 [20 to 25 High Street]. There is one Wash House used jointly by these Cottages, and a Bake House used jointly with Lot 17”. The whole estate was withdrawn as not sold and offered again in 1924 [Z1323/1/4].
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the row [DV1/C167/31-36] found that all the properties now contained a kitchen, scullery and three bedrooms. They were all owned by T A Barton. The tenants (north to south) were as follows:
- F Bird, rent 3/6 per week;
- A Adams, rent six shillings per week;
- Mrs G Rich, rent six shillings per week;
- Mrs Hale at a rent of 3/6 per week;
- A Bass at a rent of six shillings per week;
- Mrs R Bird at a rent of two shillings per week.