Ridgmont Water Tower
The water tower seen from the High Street January 2011
The water tower lies behind the High Street between the church and the school. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in April 1993 as Grade II, of special interest. It is built from reinforced concrete and is circular on plan, described by the Department as a "Classical rotunda with eight giant Tuscan pilasters on a stepped plinth and with a large entablature with a plain frieze and large cornice on the east side". It has two metal-framed windows, one above the other.
It was built in 1913 and Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has a draft of the contract made between the Duke of Bedford and Brims & Company Limited of Pandon Buildings, Newcastle on Tyne [Northumberland] who also built the pumping station and public swimming bath in Mill Road, Husborne Crawley [HN10/360/Bedford4]. The total price of the contract was £1,265.
The water tower seen from Segenhoe January 2011