2 and 4 Eversholt Road Ridgmont
2 and 4 Eversholt Road about 1900 [Z50/95/41]
2 and 4 Eversholt Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in February 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the early 19th century. The former pair of cottages is built in colourwashed brick and render with a hipped thatched roof. Each cottage comprised two rooms downstairs with bedrooms in the attics above.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C54/145-146] noted that they were then numbered 11 and 12 Eversholt Road. The pair was owned by the Duke of Bedford.
Number 2 Eversholt Road was occupied by P. H. Freeman who paid rent of 1/3 per week for a reception room, a living room, a scullery and two bedrooms as well as a timber and thatched barn. Water came from a tap at back. Number 4 was in the occupation of John Garner who paid 1/3 per week for a living room, a scullery and two bedrooms, with a coal house, a wood and tiled wood barn and an earth closet. Again, water came from a tap at the back. The valuer commented: "Rooms very dark, not lettable"
2 and 4 Eversholt Road January 2011