13 to 23 Church Row Wootton
13 to 23 Church Row May 2010
21 and 23 Church Row were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. This pair of houses dates from the 18th century and was “probably originally divided into three” (since 23 is twice the size of 21). They are timber-framed with roughcast render and have old clay tiled roofs. They comprise a single storey and attics.
Numbers 13 to 19 are not as old, probably 19th century – they appear on a map of 1901 along with a detached house just to the west which has subsequently been pulled down. They are not listed and do not appear in any way exceptional but are still attractive cottages. They have a regular front and, again, a clay tiled roof. They are brick built and numbers 17 and 19 have been colourwashed.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wootton was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Church Row described 13 to 19 [DV1/C50/80-83] as belonging to Mrs. H. Whitehouse. The valuer described Number 13, occupied by H. Moore who paid rent of £4/2/6, set in 1920, as containing a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above and a barn and earth closet outside. 15, 17 and 19 were identical, being tenanted by Mrs. W. T. Gilbey, Mrs. A. Gilbey and F. Bateman respectively. : “Water from pump 400 yards away” and, of the whole row: “Very poor cottages in poor repair, poor gardens. If kept up would be good”.
Numbers 21 and 23 were owned by S. Tysoe. Number 21 was occupied by C. M. Short for a rent of 1/3 per week, set in 1925. For this the tenant got a living room and a kitchen with one bedroom above and an earth closet outside. “very tiny place” the valuer commented. Number 23 was in the occupation of G. Tysoe rent free. He had a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms in addition to the barn and earth closet outside.
21 and 23 Church Row May 2010