Milton Lodge Milton Bryan
Milton Lodge January 2008
Milton Lodge was one of the entrance lodges to the grounds of Battlesden House. It was listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The structure dates from the 1860s and was designed by G. H. Stokes, advised by Sir Joseph Paxton. It is built from red brick with ashlar dressings and comprises one storey and attics beneath a slate roof. The gates, gate piers and walls were listed at the same time, also as Grade II.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Milton Lodge [DV1/C261/54] noted that it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company, the Duke having purchased Battlesden House in 1885, and found it occupied by R. Garner whose rent was 1/4 per week. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and a pantry downstairs with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a barn and an earth closet.