Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > The Hollies Church Road Linslade

The Hollies Church Road Linslade

The Hollies Church Road October 2008
The Hollies, Church Road, October 2008

The Hollies is an imposing 19th century residence with substantial outbuildings. Having been in Buckinghamshire until 1965 Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service does not have very much on the building except for some particulars produced when the building was sold by auction in 1945 [BML10/44/75] when it was described as: "The well-built commodious residence situate in Church Road, Linslade, known as "The Hollies", built of brick, partly weather-tiled, with tiled roof. Contains the following accommodation: -

In the basement

  • Good Cellarage

On the ground floor:

  • Portico Entrance to large Hall 7 feet 6 inches wide.
  • Lounge, measuring 44 feet 6 inches by 16 feet, fitted with 2 Slow Combustion Grates.
  • Dining Room measuring 20 feet by 13 feet, fitted with Slow Combustion Grate.
  • Kitchen fitted with Dresser.
  • Pantry with Sink. Hot water supply.
  • Scullery with Copper and Cupboard. Sink with Hot and Cold Supplies.

On the first floor:

  • Approached by easy Staircase is Landing opening on to a Balcony.
  • A suite of 2 Bedrooms, each measuring 20 feet 6 inches by 16 feet and 20 feet by 13 feet with Dressing Room.
  • Bedroom measuring 22 feet 6 inches by 16 feet.
  • Bathroom, fitted Bath, lavatory Basin and W.C.

In the wing:

  • A Secondary Bedroom.
  • Two W.C.'s, Bathroom fitted Bath and Lavatory Basin

On the second floor:

  • Six well-proportioned Bedrooms.

There is a side entrance for tradesmen and outside W.C. The GARDEN is extensive, reaching to New Road. On the other side of the house is the Stable Yard with Double Garage and Loft over, and Stabling for 9 horses.

Outbuildings at The Hollies October 2008
Outbuildings at The Hollies October 2008

The Two Cottages open on to the Yard. One contains 2 rooms down and 4 over, and the other 2 rooms down and 2 over. They are occupied by Mr.Sinfield and Mrs.Harris, weekly tenants, at a rental of 7/6 per week each. The Saddle Room is in the same block, and detached are Wash-house and W.C. The frontage of the property to Church Road is about 142 feet and to New Road about 99 feet".

The 1901 census reveals the following occupants of The Hollies:

  • Joseph J.Large, 79, granite merchant, born in Birmingham;
  • Mary Large, wife, 81, born in Leighton Buzzard;
  • Helen Maud Taylor, 21, domestic servant, born in Waddesdon [Buckinghamshire]

In a separate property, which maybe the adjoining coach house, is George Victor Allsopp, 43, stud groom, born in Gloucestershire, his wife Elizabeth Lilian, aged 45, born in Alconbury [Huntingdonshire] and their daughter Alice Lilian, aged 6, born in Brighton [Sussex].