Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > Saint Barnabas Church Architecture

Saint Barnabas Church Architecture

Saint Barnabas about 1900
Saint Barnabas about 1900 [Z1130/74]

Saint Barnabas' church was, like the rest of Linslade until 1965, in Buckinghamshire and thus formed part of the Diocese of Oxford. On the transfer of Linslade to Bedfordshire the ecclesiastical parish remained in Oxford Diocese until transferring to the Diocese of St.Albans in 2008. Thus Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service has no parish records for Linslade, they are at The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies. The following information is taken from former County Archivist Chris Pickford's Bedfordshire Historical Records Series volume Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century: Appendices.

 Nave looking east October 2008 Nave looking west October 2008
The nave looking east and west October 2008

The original parish church was Saint Mary's in Old Linslade. New Linslade had developed rapidly in the first half of the 19th century due largely to the arrival of the canal in 1800 and the railway in 1838. Given that the old church was two miles away from the new settlement it was suggested that a new church be built in 1840 but the idea gained little support. By 1847, however, when a fresh subscription was set up, that had changed.

 Saint Barnabas church and former National School June 2008
Saint Barnabas church and former National School June 2008

Saint Barnabas was built between 1848 and 1849 in the area of New Linslade known as Chelsea. The London & North Western Railway Company supported the new church and the school which was built adjoining the church and the foundation stone was laid on 31st May 1848; the completed church was consecrated on 15th June 1849 and contained a nave and chancel, west gallery and north porch. The architect was Benjamin Ferrey. On completion Saint Barnabas became the parish church in place of Saint Mary's, with a vicarage being built in 1854.

 Saint Paul window in choir vestry October 2008Saint Barnabas window in choir vestry October 2008
Windows of Saints Paul and Barnabas in the choir vestry October 2008

The Bedfordshire Times of 23rd June 1849 reported on the opening: "As we announced in our last publication, the new church at Linslade was opened on Friday. At the morning service the church was much crowded. The Lord Bishop of Oxford preached the opening sermon, taking his text from Matthew xxi. 12 and 13, "And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them the sold and bought", &c…".