58 and 60 New Road Linslade
58 and 60 New Road June 2008
58 and 60 New Road were listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. They were built in the early 19th century as Linslade expanded, firstly as a result of the Grand Union Canal (1800) then the London and North Western Railway (1838) running through the town. They have a stucco exterior with a low pitched Welsh slate roof.
58 and 60 New Road were sold by auction in 1905 [BML10/44/40]; they had belonged, with a good number of other premises, to Samuel Tavener, who had died. They were described as:
"A PAIR OF VILLA RESIDENCES, BRICK and STUCCO BUILT, with Slated Roofs, pleasantly situate and being Numbers 58 and 60, New Road, Linslade. Number 58 contains -
- On the Second Floor: - Passage and two Bedrooms.
- On the First Floor: - Passage. Drawing Room (with French Windows opening on to the Balcony) and fitted with marble mantelpiece. One Bedroom.
- On the Ground Floor: - Portico Entrance. Passage. Dining Room, fitted with marble mantelpiece. Breakfast Room. Kitchen, fitted with range and sink.
- In the Basement, with separate area approach, are commodious Cellars.
At the rear is the Coal Cellar, Earth Closet and Ashpit, and a Brick-and-Slated Stable and Coach-house, with Loft over. It is in the occupation of Mr.W.Lester, a quarterly tenant (with a 6 months' notice), at a rental of £35 per annum.
Number 60 contains similar accommodation, except that the Kitchen is in the Basement, and at the rear are Brick-and-Slated Wash-house, Coal House, Earth Closet and Ashpit. It is in the occupation of Miss Theobald, a yearly tenant, at a rental of £23 per annum, the total annual value of the property being £48 per annum. There is a gateway entrance common to both houses from the Old Road. Council Water is laid on. The lot has a frontage of 32 feet to Old Road , and one of 36 feet to New Road. The Roller Blinds, Curtain Poles and Gas Fittings in both Houses; also the galvanised iron rain water tank, and painted Dresser in Number 58 belong to the Tenants".
A note on the particulars reveals that the properties were withdrawn from the sale. They were later sold to W.Bennett for £550. The 1901 census gives the following information:
- William H.Large, 47, supervisor, Inland Revenue, born in Ireland;
- Mabel Large, wife, 38, born in Scotland;
- David I.M.L. Large, son, 13, born in Ireland;
- Stanley D.Large, son, 11, born in Ireland;
- Cathleen Large, daughter, 9, born in Scotland;
- Monica Large, daughter, 7, born in Ireland
- Lucy Ann Theobald, 70, living on own means, born in Stratford [Essex];
- Mary Bertha Lucas, 25, domestic servant, born in Fenny Stratford [Buckinghamshire].
Kelly's Directories show: William Barbaer Dixon at 60 New Road in 1915 and Edward White, dentist, at 58 New Road in 1931.