46 To 52 Wing Road Linslade
44 to 52 Wing Road October 2008
46 to 52 Wing Road were owned by George Chandler until his death and were put up for sale by auction by his executors in 1938 [BML10/44/63]. They were described as: "A Row of 4 Brick-and-Slated COTTAGES, Being Numbers 46 to 52 Wing Road, Linslade. Each cottage contains: -
- FRONT ROOM with oven range.
- KITCHEN with small range and sink.
- TWO BEDROOMS, one having a fireplace.
At the rear, approached by a side passage, is a small garden and a brick and slated building containing a W.C. for each Cottage and a Fuel Barn for Numbers 50 and 52. The loft space over and remaining ground floor space were occupied by the late Mr.George Chandler and are not let to the cottage tenants. The cottages are let to Messrs Kempster and Doughty at 7 shillings per week each and Messrs Simpson and Boughton at 7 shillings and sixpence per week each respectively. The total rental amounting to £75 8 shillings per annum…the frontage to Wing Road is about 52 feet. Gas, Water and Main drainage are all connected".
Reading between the lines, it seems as if the cottages had been in a fairly parlous state as the particular continues: "The property has been recently put into good repair to the satisfaction of the Local Authority, who has issued a statutory five-year certificate, dated March 21st, 1938". The properties were sold for £600.
42 to 52 Wing Road in 1938 [BML10/44/63]
The 1901 census reveals the following occupants:
- Catherine Hensman, widow, 76, annuitant, born in Stewkley [Buckinghamshire]
- Thomas Newans, 59, bootmaker, born in Wing [Buckinghamshire];
- Mary Newans, wife, 58, born in Mentmore [Buckinghamshire];
- Arthur Newans, son, 13, born in Winchester [Hampshire]
- Susanna Cook, widow, 59, living on own means, born in Linslade
- Edwin Cutler, 31, stableman; born in Wing [Buckinghamshire];
- Elizabeth Cutler, wife, 30, born in Wing;
- Ethel Cutler, daughter, 8, born in Southcott;
- Cyril Cutler, son, 6, born in Southcott;
- Joseph Cutler, son, 4, born in Southcott;
- Edwin Cutler, son, 1, born in Southcott
Kelly's Directory for 1911 notes that 46 Wing Road was occupied by William Leeden, tailor.