1 Old Road Linslade
1 Old Road October 2008
At first glance this building looks a little like a chapel, but the four storeys and door at first floor level give away that it was an industrial building and its position, close to the canal, suggests some connection with that. The building was probably built in the early 19th century, the grand junction canal being opened in 1800. Directories show the following occupiers:
1883: Stephen Henry Whichello and son, coal merchants;
1899: A.W.Tooley & Son, corn and coal merchants;
1907: Tooley & Company Limited, corn and coal merchants;
1931: H.C.Tooley Limited, corn merchants.