44 The Avenue Bletsoe
All one can see of this building from the road is a small part of the roof and a chimney stack. It was listed by the former English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It is a 17th century cottage built of colour-washed plaster infill over a timber frame, which has been partly replaced by stone and brick. The roof is thatched and the house comprises a ground floor with bedrooms in the attics.
The terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 required every piece of land and building in the country to be valued to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C106/12] noted: "Right at back behind Terrace row". Unusually for Bletsoe the cottage was not owned by Lord Saint John but by W. Hipwell. The tenant was a Mrs. Fairey who paid a shilling per week rent. The house comprised a living room downstairs and two bedrooms above ("in the roof").