40-42 The Avenue Bletsoe
38 and 40 The Avenue October 2009
40-42 The Avenue was listed by the former Department of Environment in January 1977 as Grade II, of special interest. It is a 17th century building (38, the projecting gable is 18th century) and is built of colour-washed plaster over a timber frame, and has a thatched roof. It comprises a ground floor with bedrooms in the attics.
The terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 required every piece of land and building in the country to be valued to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. The valuer visiting 40-42 The Avenue [DV1/C106/11] discovered that it was, like most of the parish, owned by Lord Saint John. The property was rented by F. Brown for £2 per half year. It was built of plaster and thatch and comprised just a living room downstairs (though the valuer did note "big") with two bedrooms in the roof space, though only one could be used. A barn stood outside. The valuer commented: "½ unused".