15-17 Memorial Lane Bletsoe
15-17 Memorial Lane October 2009
15-17 Memorial Lane was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It was either a 17th or 18th century terrace of cottages which have been modernised and knocked into one dwelling. The premises is timber-framed, with colour-washed plaster overlaid and has a modern tiled roof.
The terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 required every piece of land and building in the country to be valued to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. The valuer visiting 15-17 Memorial Lane noted that it was, like most of the parish, owned by Lord Saint John and was then divided into three dwellings. The first of these [DV1/C106/53], at the eastern end, was occupied by Mrs. Barker who paid 8/8 per month rent for a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above; there was also an attic. The middle [DV1/C106/54] was occupied by J. Norman who occupied a living room and pantry downstairs with two bedrooms above, as well as a loft. The western end [DV1/C106/55] was in the occupation of E. Willmott who just had a living room downstairs and two bedrooms above, as well as the loft.