Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > 51 West Hill Aspley Guise

51 West Hill Aspley Guise

51 West Hill July 2010
51 West Hill July 2010

51 West Hill is an attractive 19th century house, set back a little from the road. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 51 West Hill found that it was called West Hill Cottage and was owned and occupied by T. W. Brown and Sons [DV1/C141/126]. Kelly's Directory for Bedfordshire for 1928 lists Thomas William Brown as a boot maker.

The brick and slate, detached, cottage comprised two reception rooms and a kitchen with three bedrooms above. A brick and slate washhouse lay outside and the valuer noted: "Used as Workshop (Boot repairers)". He also commented that the house was  "Double-fronted".