27 and 29 West Hill Aspley Guise
27 West Hill about 1920 [Z1130/3a/34]
As one travels up West Hill from The Square a house faces one looking down the hill. It stands at the junction of West Hill with Wood Lane. This property is 27 West Hill and, immediately behind it and attached to it is Number 29.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 27 and 29 West Hill found them both owned by Henry Herriman, who, directories reveal, had live dthere since at least 1924 and continued to live there until at least 1931.
Number 27 [DV1/C141/113] was then called Cape Cottage and was occupied by Herriman himself. The brick and slate property comprised two reception rooms and a kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms and a bathroom and w. c. upstairs. A small conservatory as well as a coal cellar and w. c. stood outside. Mains water, drains and gas were laid on.
Number 29 [DV1/C141/114] was occupied by Mrs. A. White who paid rent of four shillings per week. The cottage comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. A brick and corrugated iron w. c. and barn stood outside. Again mains water, drainage and gas were laid on. The valuer commented: "Double fronted" and "no garden".
27 and 29 West Hill July 2010