23 to 29 Dunstable Road Studham
23 to 29 Dunstable Road in December 2008
This splendid 19th century terrace stands gable end on to Dunstable Road opposite The Bell Public House. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Studham was assessed at the end of 1926 and the valuer visiting The Bell Terrace [DV1/C21/65-70] noted that it then contained six dwellings, all owned by the executors of F. Jones.
The six dwellings were occupied by the following tenants, reading east to west from the road: W. Johnstone; L. Austin; Mrs. Austin; Mrs. Dart; Thomas Day and W. Smith; the first four paid 1/6 per week in rent and the latter two paid three shillings.
Each of the first four cottages comprised a kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside each stood a brick and slate barn and earth closet. Day and Smith paid double because they each occupied two cottages, with a connecting door between them, each thus comprised a reception room, kitchen and two bedrooms downstairs with four bedrooms above; again outside each stood a brick and slate barn and earth closet. The valuer noted that water had to be drawn from the village well, which stood near the Red Lion Public House in Church Road.