11 and 13 Dunstable Road Studham
11 and 13 Dunstable Road January 2010
The 19th century village of Studham was largely a cluster of surviving properties in Dunstable Road. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Studham was assessed at the end of 1926 and the valuer visiting 11 and 13 Dunstable Road [DV1/C21/62-63] noted that Number 11 was owned by Mrs. Barnard and occupied by Alfred Lines who paid four shillings per week rent. His brick and tile built accommodation comprised a living room, scullery and kitchen, with a cellar below and two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "Double front".
Next door, today  Thatcher's Cottage, was owned and occupied by W. Rogers and the brick and thatched building comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. Outside were a number of weather-boarded and corrugated iron outbuildings comprising: a scullery; a cart shelter and store shed with a loft over; a cart shed and loose box and a pigsty and fowl house. The valuer commented "Very good Cottage".
Another property stood immediately behind Number 13, a brick and slate detached building owned by W. Rogers and occupied by C. H. Reynolds, who had paid 2/6 rent since 1914. The brick and slate accommodation comprised a kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. A cellar lay beneath and an earth closet stood outside. The valuer noted "Water from village well". He also noted "Enter by passage" and "Neglect".