Ravensden School in 1904
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor set out his report in the format below.
This is a brick built and slated building, somewhat low and ancient. It is in a fairly clean condition, and has recently been partially repaired, internally and externally.
Main Room – 28 feet by 20 feet by 9 feet 6 inches high to plate, and an open wrought boarded, stained and a varnished roof 8 feet 6 inches high.
The windows are small and low; two are made to open, also two skylights.
The ventilation is poor. Six Tobin Tubes and an Exhaust Ventilator should be provided. There are two fireplaces in this room.
Class Room – 0 feet [sic] by 20 feet by 10 feet to 13 feet 9 inches.
This also needs 4 Tobin Tubes and an Exhaust Ventilator. The Room is in fair order otherwise. It is lighter than the first named room, being more modern. One fireplace is provided here.
Front Lobby or Cloak Room – 12 feet 7 inches by 7 feet three inches by seven feet to 12 feet in roof.
This is modern and commodious for garments.
These are of the pail closet type, and on the day of my visit were very clean. They are so near to the Schools as to make it desirable that they be converted into Moule’s Earth Closets.
Generally these places are in good order.
Repairs yet to be done will be completed shortly.
The Entrance Gate should be made to open inward instead of on to the road space.
The whole of the yards and approaches are paved with red bricks, and the fences are good.
No water is provided on the premises.
A Coal Barn is provided.