Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Ravensden > April, Hillcrest and Twisden Cottages, Ravensden

April, Hillcrest and Twisden Cottages, Ravensden

This page was written by Trevor Stewart

April Twisden & Hillcrest Cotts 2

April, HIllcrest and Twisden Cottages (courtesy of Michael Graham)

A row of three thatched cottages next to Oak Cottage but strangely running sideways onto the road, Church End, one assumes in order to get the most properties possible on the available space.

April Twisden & Hillcrest Cotts 1

April, HIllcrest and Twisden Cottages (courtesy of Michael Graham)

The cottages were built in the early 1700’s, probably soon after the original Horse and Jockey. These are also timber framed with colour washed rough cast.

To the left of the cottages for many years stood a timber built tiny village shop serving the residents of Church End and run by the Wildman family. It is thought that this finally closed in the late 1920’s and was subsequently demolished.