Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Souldrop > Lambs Cottage Souldrop

Lambs Cottage Souldrop

Lamb's Cottage in 1922 [Z1246/1]
Lamb's Cottage in 1922 [Z1246/1]

Lamb’s Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It is actually a group of three cottages, one pair and one single, now interconnected. The southern cottage dates from the 17th century, with the roof later raised. It is built of local limestone and comprises two storeys. The other part, attached to the north, is timber-framed with brick infill, and is 18th or 19th century later modernised. It may possibly be a former barn. At right angles to the north-east is a 17th or 18th century single storey cottage with a large recent dormer attached to the rear: This is timber-framed with brick infill and some limestone walling. The listing notes: “considerably altered”.

In 1922 the cottage formed part of the Colworth Estate, which was put up for sale by auction in that year. It had probably always formed part of the Manor of Souldrop. The sale particulars [Z1246/1] describe the property as: “a useful Cottage Holding” with 6 acres, 38 poles of land. “In occupation of Mr Alfred Lamb and Mr Leonard Bird, on Yearly Michaelmas Tenancies (the latter having given notice to quit at Michaelmas, 1922). The Cottage is brick, stone and thatched, and contains two Bedrooms with beamed ceilings, Boxroom, Living Room, Kitchen, Pantry and Store. Adjoining is a stone and corrugated iron Wash and Bake House, with Lumber Room over, and Dairy. The Buildings, of brick, wood and tiled construction, include Cattle Shed for five, Cow Shed for four, three Calf Pens, three pigsties, Loose Box and Barn. The tenant of the Cottage and Buildings (Mr A Lamb) claims certain partitions”. The whole estate was withdrawn as not sold and offered again in 1924 [Z1323/1/4].

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the detached stone, plaster and thatched cottage [DV1/C167/12] found (perhaps not surprisingly) that it was owned and occupied by Mrs S J Lamb, bought, no doubt in 1924. The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A “good” washhouse stood outside. The valuer commented: “Corner site. Part has very low roof. Stands a little back from road”.

Mrs Lamb also had a small homestead comprising a three-bay open hovel, two cow sheds each for two beasts, a three-bay open hovel, a large stable and a cart shed with a loft over used as a store. The valuer commented: “Very poor condition, roof falling in and sides patched up”. In 1989 planning permission was sought for an extension and other alterations [BorBTP/89/650/LB].

Lamb's Cottage April 2015
Lamb's Cottage April 2015