5 to 7 High Street Souldrop
5 to 7 High Street April 2015
5 to 7 High Street were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The terrace was built in the 18th century, of local limestone rubble with pantiled roofs. Each property has two storeys. There has been, as the listing notes: “some modernisation and extension”.
5 to 7 High Street formed part of the Colworth Estate, which was put up for sale by auction in 1922. The sale particulars [Z1246/1] describe the row as being occupied by Mrs Cooper, Mrs Lamb and an estate employee. Each cottage contained two bedrooms, a kitchen, scullery and pantry with joint washhouse and outbuildings. The whole estate was withdrawn as not sold and offered again in 1924 [Z1323/1/4].
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer, visiting the properties in 1927 [DV1/C167/47-49] found that they were all owned by H Spavins. Each house contained a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms upstairs. A barn and earth closet stood outside each. The tenants were H Bird, T Hull (rent four shillings per week) and W Read (rent three shillings per week). The valuer commented: “Stands back from road, quite nice”.