36 High Street Meppershall
36 High Street - The Old Shop March 2015
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 36 High Street [DV1/C160/40] found that it was owned by William Simmons and tenanted by W. Lawrence whose rent had been £27 per annum since 1923. He was a grocer.
Accommodation comprised a kitchen, a parlour and four bedrooms upstairs. The shop measured 14 feet by 13 feet 6 inches and there was also a store room measuring 9 feet square. A garage, a barn, a hen house, a washhouse and an earth closet all stood outside.